Sunday, October 08, 2006

John Myles Sharpe, The "Mornington Monster"

I am currently watching a documentary on John Myles Sharpe, one of the most callous killers Melbourne has ever seen. I have seen this documentary before, yet I am drawn to it again and again. How can a man who looks so "normal" not just kill his wife, but his two year old daughter? And not just kill them, but brutally murder them.
Here's a synopsis:
John Sharpe had been with Anna Kemp for a decade. They had met at the Commonwealth Bank where they both worked. They married in 1994 and had a daughter in 2002, Gracie, who was born with hip dysplacia that Anna tenderly nursed her through. When Gracie was about 15 months old, Anna fell pregnant again.
John decided that he did not want another child - one was enough of a burden. Even though he had agreed to have more children, he began to resent Anna and the baby in her womb. Without Anna knowing (I hope) John started plotting her death. He bought a spear gun, even though he had never shown any interest in spear fishing. He test fired it once in the backyard. The next time he used it, it would be to kill his wife.
On the night of March 23 2004, John waited until Anna was asleep, then used the spear gun to shoot her in the head a point blank range. This didn't kill her, so he had to shoot another spear into her head. He then waited at least four days, taking Gracie to playgroup and going about life as normal, before late one night getting the spear gun out again. This time it was Gracie's turn.
He shot his 20 month old daughter in the head with a spear gun at point blank range. It didn't kill her and she started screaming. He then got the spears he had removed from his wife's head and fired them into his daughter. This still did not kill her. The screaming must have been horrendous by now. He then PUT HIS FOOT ON HIS 20 MONTH OLD DAUGHTER'S CHEST SO HE COULD WRENCH A SPEAR OUT OF HER SKULL and fire it into her again. Finally Gracie was out of her misery.
He cut up Anna's body and chucked it in the rubbish, along with Gracie's body and some of their possessions. For three months he lied to his family, Anna's family and friends and the public. He claimed that Anna was pregnant to another man and had left him.

Eventually he confessed, after media and police pressure. The police found Anna and Gracie at the Mornington Rubbish Dump.

A further motive emerged after Sharpe confessed. He had been accused of molesting children several times in the past, although there had never been enough evidence to charge him. There is speculation that Anna found him molesting Gracie. I doubt whether we will ever know if this was the case.

I hope that every second of every day, all that John Sharpe hears are the screams of pain from his daughter. Screams from pain that he caused.
(To read the court findings click here.)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a neighbour of this family, and run a small business that he frequented.
Just goes to show that you never REALLY know somebody.
My quiet seaside lifestyle became a barrage of floodlamps, luminol, media, police and forensic specialists and freaks knocking on my door asking bizarre questions.
The house is still there. New owners have moved in. I can't understand that.
The house should be torn down.
Rest peacefully Anna and Gracie.
John is where he deserves to be and the Director of Public Prosecutions, and the rest of Australia, will make sure that he never sees the light of day again.

Anonymous said...

I actually was working as a cleaner at Rosebud Police station at the time when they were sifting through all that rubbsih looking for the bodies.
I become privy to some very distrurbing information that was NEVER released to the public about what he did with the bodies BEFORE he put them in trash bag in the bin.
If you knew what I knew, I am not sure if I am allowed to even say but living with this knowledge is taxing, you would be even more disgusted that this animal was not killed at birth.

To see grown, big policemen come back smelling of rancid rubbish. Exhausted physically and emotionally. Many volunteered for this duty they felt so passionatly about finding little Gracie and Anna. Looking downtroden day after day with no luck.
To see these men walk in the day they found the bodies and cry, still brings me to tears today, years later.
To know what that son-of-a-bitch did to their bodies with what I shouldn't know is just so graphic and disturbing.

I am glad he is rotting in jail. I hope he is having an extremely hard time. Bashings and daily rape would be good for him. (Note. I am a rape victim but it's the only good thing for him to suffer with). And if he is I hope he lives a LONG life.
Being beaten to death in there is too good for him.

Oh I wish so much I could tell what I know.

Anonymous said...

He took the easy way out scumbag, live and let live is always the best policy. He is 100% a psychopath, his wife was "controlling" i.e. she wanted him to help pay off their house and look after their daughter like the non-child abuser he fooled her into thinking he was. Makes me scared raising children in a world with liars waiting to take, rape, kill and blame around. He never thought of his daughter or wife as a human since he was able to keep living after what he did. How many more out there don't think of us as people and are putting on the show of a lifetime?

Anonymous said...

I too lived close by. It has worried me why this murderer also became a pedophile. Does anyone know of a reason? Was he himself molested? What happened in his past to make him this way?

Anonymous said...

Howdy,

I am regular visitor of this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here killingtimeinoz.blogspot.com. Frankly speaking we really do not pay attention towards our health. Are you really serious about your weight?. Recent Scientific Research points that about 70% of all United States adults are either fat or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effective weight loss.

Anonymous said...

I am a close relative to John and most of what you people are saying just sickens me. especially the neighbours I mean really why the hell do you get to compplain about the media my family has been torn in half because of them and not John in fact I would say that people like you are one of the main causes of this suddenley coming out and declaring all of this shit and as a matter of fact I have been to see John lately and there's not a day goes by that he doesnt feel regret I have come to accept him back into my life and he is not being bashe and raped he is doing fine and I am proud of him being so strong what sickens me most again is all of you fuck witted sons of bitchs out there.

Anonymous said...

ok I guess I lied in my first statement I'm no tactually relateted to John and I havent been to se him but I do know what its like to have people like you talk like this I hope all of you rot in hell

Anonymous said...

accepting someone like that is your own choice.. everyone else alsohas theirchoices and that is mostly not to accept the fact that he murderd his wife and daughter in such a sickning way.. people like that could have gotten help before they did.. could have moved out and left nothing behind but he decided to kill..
people can only imagine what he did to those 2.. fuck him... and fuck what he was thinking when he did what he did.. its not even a human act this man is an animal..and should suffer as much as he gets.

Anonymous said...

To the twisted person who posted comments in defence of this animal....Whats wrong with YOU....for anyone to have remorse for this cold blooded heartless killer...is just as sick as he is....!!!!!

Anonymous said...

To that "family member" please think more deeply before you support John Myles Sharpe. Your family has not been "torn in half" by the media but by the acts of this murderer. He has caused heartache, pain and grief to many innocent people, not just the victims of his cruel murder. I'm sure you're right that he is quite OK in prison, he was a disaster in the outside world. He is sickeningly sentimental about his family but has no real remorse except about being caught. He was a nasty kid who grew into a molester and killer with no conscience. He will stay in gaol, he can apply for parole after 33 years served but the prosecutors think he would never get it.

Anonymous said...

To that "family member" please think more deeply before you support John Myles Sharpe. Your family has not been "torn in half" by the media but by the acts of this murderer. He has caused heartache, pain and grief to many innocent people, not just the victims of his cruel murder. I'm sure you're right that he is quite OK in prison, he was a disaster in the outside world. He is sickeningly sentimental about his family but has no real remorse except about being caught. He was a nasty kid who grew into a molester and killer with no conscience. He will stay in gaol, he can apply for parole after 33 years served but the prosecutors think he would never get it.

Anonymous said...

i live in mornington and i am young i saw this doc on tv and gotsad rest in peace anna and gracie